The Diaper Heritage Association
Home
Fisherman, Ferryman, Sailor, Spy - the Diapers of Itchen Ferry
Contact
Early Days Itchen Ferry Village The Captain's Table At Sea Genealogy
The museum contains a permanent display of the town’s maritime history and many of the artefacts have connections with the Diapers. Use this trail to take you around the museum, it will finish at the ‘Fisherman, Ferryman, Sailor, Spy – The Diapers of Itchen Ferry’ exhibit.

Click here to download the Diaper Education Trail
Get Adobe Reader Here
Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund

Itchen Hoys

 

Below is a list of documented Itchen Hoys and their owners, some of vessels survive till this day. If anyone has any additional information please post onto the website forum.

 

Annasona – Ben Parker aka Bennicks

 

Annie – George Parker aka Titlo

 

Ariel – 15 tons racing 1830 E Diaper

 

Arrow – Alfred Diaper aka Ole Chap, Arrow was the name of Chamberlayne’s yacht and boatyard

 

Bandicoot – built 1904

 

Black Bess – built 1873 currently exhibited at the Classic Boat Museum, Newport, IOW

 

Bluejacket – built 1894

 

Bream –Built in 1910 originally owned by the Cozens, now at Maritime Museum store John Holness previous owner of Itchen ferry BREAM who donated to Museum collection in 1983. See Yaching World article 1972.

 

Curlew – Greg Dalrymple, Old Bursledon, blt 1962 at 95 French St by Herbie Williams, restored by GD at Salterns, Old Bursledon.

 

Dart – 14 tons, racing 1827 & 1830, Robert Giles

 

Dragon – George Parker aka Jack Savage

 

Edith – Joseph Matthews

 

Eileen – Alfred Diaper aka Sloper

 

Eliza Ann – George Candy aka Jargy

 

Flo – Edward Parker aka Shaboo

 

Florence – owned by John Diaper aka Ben Nevis, boat named after a daughter who died

 

George – racing 1830, 12 tons, Thomas Diaper

 

Haidee – owned by Frederick Diaper aka Fredericks

 

Henry – 16 tons racing 1827, 1829 & 1830 Chas Dyke

Jane – A Jane was racing in 1802, owned by John Diaper. Christopher Judd (Terry Lamborne past owner and restorer – along with Tony Smith - 80773715 contact given by Colin James)

 

Joseph – 12 tons, racing 1830 Charles Chapman

 

Kitty – 1796 moored in Hamble part of the estate of Thomas Diaper landlord of Bulls Head pub in Hamble

 

Lark – 15 tons racing 1827 & 1830, Robert Cooper

 

Lil – William Candy

 

Lily – built c 1843 bought in 1872 by the author R C Leslie

 

Lively – 15 tons racing 1827 & 1830, Henry Matthew

 

Mary Ann – racing 1802, William Cooper

 

Maud – Thomas Jurd aka Puffy

 

Nellie – current owner Chris Waddington, Wicar Marine, Fareham. Built by Dan Hatcher in 1862, originally 19’ but lengthened to 21’ after a fire when it was restored c1900 when owned by Henry Banks, family owned til 1953 and bought by Peter Preston in 1955. Henry Banks was married to Sarah Diaper sister of Tommy Dutch Diaper. CW originally had 3 boats. Model of the Nellie in Hythe. Information from John Banks. Information from Peter Preston, that NELLIE (SU22) moored near Ealing creek.

 

Maid Marion – McGillivray, Andarts? also had information re boat being restored at Itchen boatyard

 

Mermaid – Ben Candy built c1880

 

Mullet – 14 foot built 1879 for James Couzens of Weston, carvel built by Alfred Payne

 

Onward - built for Alfred Parker aka ITO, landlord of the Marsh Tavern who retired to Hamble, he also owned the Seaflower

 

Onward of Ito - Owned by Don Burns, who bought her in 1997, berthed at East Cowes. 25ft long, 9ft beam, built 1923. Built for a member of the Parker family whose nickname was ITO. See Classic Boat magazine June 1993 for article on boat. Martin Jenkins was a previous owner of ONWARD OF ITO.

 

Pride of Itchen - 13 foot clinker built by W S Luke in 1870 for Captain Thomas Diaper

 

Quiver – Thomas Cooper aka Barny

 

Rosalee – owned by Robert Diaper aka Punchy

 

Rose – 17 tons William Blizzard racing in 1827 & 1830

 

Seaflower – Alfred Parker aka Ito

 

Thomas & Jane – racing 1827 & 1829

 

Three Sisters – 13 tons racing 1830, John Cooper

 

Trial – sailing 1802 John Bryer

 

Two Brothers – 16tons, racing 1802, 1827, 1829& 1830 Charles Chapman

 

Vampire – Dan Parker aka Buckeye

 

White Squall – built 1920 Dan Parker Jnr aka Buckeye junior

 

William & Ann – 10 and a half tons racing 1827 & 1830, John Jeffrey

 

Wonder – 19 foot long, built in 1860 at the Belvedere Boatyard by Dan Hatcher for Captain Bill Diaper, also a Wonder was sailed by James Diaper aka Pily Ri. In 1920 owned by Graham Hayward, landlord of the Queens public House who won the Itchen fisherman’s cup in 1926. In 1939 it was moored by the Saltings opposite Northam and in 1946 was bought and restored by Ivan Hatcher. In 1960 Major Nicoley bought in and in 2005 it was sold to Ian McKinnel who keeps it at Emsworth. Whilst Tommy Dutch Diaper was landlord of the old Yacht Tavern in Itchen Ferry, a window depicted the Wonder could be seen. This is now held in Southampton Museum store.

Information from

Personal recollections of Ben Candy and Dan Parker Jnr, early editions of Hampshire Advertiser, feedback from Southampton Boat Show, Classic Boat, early editions Echo, information from some current owners.